18 Surprising And Scientifically Proven Benefits Of Vitamin C For Overall Health
Time after time, we hear people glorify the benefits of vitamin C. Why is it so surprisingly essential for the body? Well, for most of us, after the Covid19 pandemic, when we think of Vitamin C, we probably think of its immune defence and protection from those colds and flu. Yet, there’s more to Vitamin C and how it can help us support our overall health. Dr Kausthub Desikachar shares the 18 surprising and scientifically proven benefits of Vitamin C and how a daily dosage of Vitamin C can support your overall health.
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C, also acknowledged as ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble, vital nutrient that keeps the body functioning and healthy. Considering that Vitamin C is water-soluble, your body does not store it. That’s why it is important to include Vitamin C foods in your daily diet. Unfortunately, Vitamin C deficiencies are prevalent in this modern era, and lack of Vitamin C can contribute to health concerns.
18 Surprising Benefits Of Vitamin C
- Vitamin C may slow down cataracts and macular degeneration progress, an ageing-related eye dysfunction identified with vision loss.
- It helps remove excess fluids from the body and reduces pressure in the blood vessels, preventing the risk of hemorrhagic stroke.
- Performs in neurotransmitter synthesis and cognitive functions.
- Vitamin C encourages the generation of White Blood Cells, known as lymphocytes and phagocytes, which help shield the body against infection.
- It helps form and maintains bone health and blood vessels.
- Effectively cleanse the liver, blood and lymph.
- Vitamin C improves your skin tone, reduces blemishes, leaves your skin firm, plump and healthy.
- Stimulates hair growth, reduces split ends, fights dandruff, keeping it lustrous and healthy.
- Delays the early signs of ageing, keeping wrinkles at bay.
- Vitamin C is considered an antioxidant, protecting cells from the damage caused by free radicals.
- Assists in producing collagen, a protein responsible for keeping the joints healthy.
- Helps heal injuries and cuts.
- Vitamin C enhances the retention and absorption of iron from the food we eat, thereby preventing iron deficiency.
- Vitamin C boosts the immune system to shield the body from infections and virus adequately.
- Helps to detox the body effectively.
- Conquers the danger of certain cancers.
- Vitamin C is found to lower cholesterol levels, helping to prevent coronary heart diseases.
- Vitamin C has mood-elevating effects.
Signs And Symptoms Of Vitamin C Deficiency
- Lowered capability to combat infection
- Slow wound healing
- Inflammation in the gums, bleeding gums
- Weight gain due to slow metabolism
- Rough, dry, scaly skin
- Frizzy and splitting hair
- Swollen and aching joints
How To Take Vitamin C?
In this modern era, people go after Vitamin C supplements, making it an easy way to intake Vitamin C in their diet. Dr Kausthub Desikachar says the best way to take Vitamin C is by including food that is rich in Vitamin C in your everyday diet.
Fruits with vitamin C include:
- Citrus Fruits like lemon, oranges, grapefruit
- Strawberries & Blueberries
Vegetables with vitamin C include:
- Green & Red Peppers
- Spinach, cabbage and other leafy vegetables
Vitamin C is rich in antioxidants that can rejuvenate your body naturally. You are now aware of its benefits, Aren’t you? Dr Kausthub Desikachar says not having sufficient of this vitamin can have unfavourable impacts on your health. Your requirements should be met by eating some of these above foods recommended by Dr Kausthub each day. A diet rich in vitamin C is a vital step in approaching good health. Kausthub wishes you the best of health!
Subscribe for blog updates on Poems, Photography, Health & Wellness, Spirituality & Culture and travel.